Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stonehouse Photographs

Now I've made my map of Stonehouse I am going to go around the area to look around and see if my predictions from the Google earth map reflect what the area is really like.
This building was actually in the red area of the map. If I'd seen this building before I may have reconsidered the borders of my zones.
This is in the yellow area of the map, whilst this isolated area does look nice, the rest of the area is houses and small factories so I feel this overall is accurate.


















All of the following pictures are in the green area, I feel the majority match how I had pictured this area of Stonehouse, there was lots of interesting architecture, and the whole area seemed very well maintained and litter free.
The people who were around the area were mainly residents but there were some people who seemed to just be visiting, this was the only area I found this was the case. So it shows that people find it desirable.










All of these photographs were in the yellow area, I feel that this may have been a bad judgement as the yellow area is so broad it doesn't take into account the small areas of beauty that you find in every area, instead just generalizing the whole area as mediocre. As you can see from the photographs there are some great examples of modern and older architecture in the area mixed in with the housing. One thing the area did lack however was a feeling of somewhere you'd like to visit, which I feel would put people off of visiting the area. Therefore people would probably bypass this area if they were going to visit Royal William Yard and the surrounding area or on the way to the continental ferry port.





The following pictures are all from the red area on the map. Whilst there was nothing in the area to stop people visiting, there is nothing to encorage them to come to the area, the area was simply an assortment of ugly low-rent factories and storage facilities. This area is clearly not for people to visit but it does seem strange for residents of the Royal William Yard, who are supposidly part of the upper weath bracket of Plymouth, pass through this area. This could put off potential buyers, a solution would be to put improve the image of the main street, Durnford Street, this would give the whole area a boost in my opinion maybe meaning people take the time to look around the rest of the area and find the hidden gems the the majority of people would normally never see.

No comments:

Post a Comment